In an unexpected turn, Messhof has announced Nidhogg 2, a sequel to the original, much more pixelated Nidhogg. The game is scheduled to come out in 2017 for PC and the possibility is open for other platforms. Aside from the…interesting change in art atyle, there will also be some more added features, such as the following (provided by Messhof)
- Completely overhauled detailed environments and animations
- 10+ levels of fencing goodness
- Local and online multiplayer and tournament mode
- Play single-player against a series of AI opponents with occasional special challenge rounds
- New soundtrack featuring music by Mux Mool, Dose One, Daedelus and more!
- Even more stuff we’ll talk about soon…
All of this seems great, except for the completely unexpected art style that apparently not a lot of people are taking kindly. To me, it looks like an MTV advertisement fused with a 1990s Super Nintendo game featuring a rejected Nickelodeon cartoon. It’s leaps and bounds different what the original looked like, which was very charming within its own simplicity. Here, it seems like they are really trying to take it into a much more exaggerated direction, which will take time for me to get used to. Regardless of the look though, it still seems like an improved version of the original Nidhogg, which I appreciate. Go ahead and watch this bit of gameplay footage below, seeing a bit of the game in action at this most recent Twitch Con. Keep this game in your radar if you’re interested.
Source: Messhof (Youtube)